Child Custody & Child Support Modifications Annapolis Family Law Firm Helping Clients Understand Their Case

If you have questions or you are ready to move forward with a consultation, please call our offices today at 410-709-8971.

Child Custody & Child Support Modifications in Maryland

Looking to Modify Child Custody or Child Support in MD?signing document

Whether it’s good or bad, life is full of constant changes. If you have a current child custody, visitation, or child support order from a divorce and you experience a significant change in circumstances, the court order may no longer work. You may need to request a modification by having an attorney file a motion with the court.

At Rice Law, our lawyers are committed to protecting your rights and best interests throughout the legal process of obtaining a child custody or child support modification in Maryland. Whether you are seeking modification or challenging a proposed modification from your ex-spouse, we can assess your case, determine your available legal options, and help you obtain the best possible outcome in court.

Want more information about child custody or child support modifications in Maryland? Contact our firm or call (410) 709-8971 today to start discussing your options.

Common Reasons for Child Support Modifications in Maryland

Child and parent - child support modification Maryland

According to state law, child support payments may be lowered if the paying parent can prove a material change in circumstances. Examples include involuntarily losing a job (getting fired or laid off), custody arrangements (the non-custodial parent is awarded more custody/visitation time), and a significant increase in the custodial parent’s income.

The custodial parent may also ask the court to increase child support payments. Common examples of material changes in circumstances to obtain an increase in payments include the noncustodial parents getting promoted or a better-paying job, the custodial parent loses his/her job, and the child needs more money for food, clothing, shelter, and medical expenses, commonly due to aging.

Common Reasons to Change a Maryland Custody or Visitation Order

Just like a child support order, the petitioning party must show a material change of circumstances to obtain a modification for a current child custody or visitation order. Common examples include health issues (whether suffered by the child or the custodial parent), relocation (i.e. the custodial parent moves to another county or state), remarriage, schedule changes at work, and the custodial parent develops an addiction or abuses the children.

Call (410) 709-8971 to Discuss Modifying Your Child Support or Child Custody Order

Our Annapolis lawyers can help you draft a petition which shows that a material change in circumstances is evident and the modified order also serves the best interests of the child. Remember, if you disobey the current order, not only will it negatively affect your modification proposal, but it may result in further legal consequences. Do not hesitate to let us help you with a Maryland child custody or child support modification order immediately.

Looking to modify your child custody or child support order in Maryland? Contact us online or call (410) 709-8971 to schedule your consultation for more information.

  • Super Lawyer, Top 50 Women
  • super lawyer 5 yr
  • Super Lawyer, 2021
  • Super Lawyers, Samantha
  • Super Lawyers 2020 - Stacey Rice
  • Superlawyers
  • Super Lawyers
  • Top Lawyer Lifetime Member
  • Avvo Client's Choice 2016 - Divorce
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb - Top Attorney Divorce
  • 10 Best 2016 Client Satisfaction - 10 Best Female Attorneys
  • Super Lawyers - Stacey B. Rice
  • Super Lawyers Top 50 Women - Maryland