Guardianship Attorneys in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, and surrounding jurisdictions.

Helping You Protect the Rights of Your Loved Ones

Maryland law allows the court to appoint a guardian for a minor or an incapacitated adult. The guardian is charged with taking on various decision-making responsibilities for the minor or disabled to provide care that they are unable to provide for themselves.

What are the Two Types of Guardianship in Maryland?

The following two types of guardianship are recognized in Maryland:

  • Guardian of the person: the guardian makes decisions regarding the minor or disabled individual’s healthcare and living arrangements.
  • Guardian of the property: the guardian makes decisions regarding the minor or disabled individual’s finances.

An individual can be appointed guardian of the person, property, or both.

Guardianship Involves Complex Processes

The process of establishing guardianship can be quite complex, as many laws exist to protect the interests of the minor or disabled. You must file a petition with the court to begin the process. The court will review the petition and interview all parties who will be affected by the appointment of a guardian. The child’s parents or the adult whom you are seeking guardianship of could contest the request for guardianship, which can complicate the process. You will want to talk with a lawyer before you file the petition to help you understand what to expect going into the process.

Our Annapolis guardianship lawyers have years of experience in family law, and we are well-versed in the processes surrounding these types of cases. We understand that establishing guardianship can be an emotional experience, and we offer compassionate counsel to help you meet your goals.

What are the Responsibilities of Guardianship?

Once you receive guardianship, you are legally responsible for acting in the best interest of your minor or disabled individual. Depending on whether you are the guardian of the person, the property, or both, you are responsible for making legal decisions for the child or adult, such as those pertaining to schooling, finances, and healthcare.

Also, as a guardian, you are required to file annual reports with the court. If you are appointed guardian of the person, you must provide updates about your minor or disabled individual’s well-being. Similarly, as guardian of the property, you are required to provide the court with information about your minor or disabled individual’s finances and assets. These reports help the court monitor your minor or disabled individual’s financial and physical health.

Advocacy You Can Trust

At Rice Law, we are dedicated to helping you navigate the legal system to obtain a favorable outcome for your unique situation. We will provide you with strong advocacy to help you throughout the process of establishing guardianship for a minor or adult. We have over 45 years of experience helping families navigate their cases and are ready to do the same for you to help you achieve your goals.